The Effects of a Nutrition Education Intervention on Sports Nutrition Knowledge during a Competitive Season in Highly Trained Adolescent Swimmers.
AffiliationBirmingham City University
University of Derby
University of Illinois at Chicago
Edge Hill University
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of a seven-week nutrition education intervention on the sports nutrition knowledge (SNK) of highly trained UK adolescent swimmers. Fifteen national and international adolescent swimmers (males = 5; females = 10, 15.5 ± 1.1 years, 170.2 ± 7.5 cm, 60.3 ± 5.7 kg) participated in the study during seven consecutive weeks of the competitive swimming season. The participants received 30 min of nutrition education once per week in a classroom-based setting after they had completed their regular swim training. An undergraduate sports nutrition student delivered all nutrition education sessions and SNK questionnaires were administered to the participants pre- and post-intervention. The mean total SNK score improved by 8.3% (SD = 8.4%, 95% CI = 4.1-12.6; p = 0.006; ES = 1.0) following the nutrition education sessions. On an individual basis, ten swimmers significantly improved their total SNK score, whereas four swimmers did not improve, and one swimmer performed significantly worse after the intervention. Moreover, the swimmers' knowledge of hydration improved by 22.2% (SD = 20.6%, 95% CI = 11.8-32.6, p = 0.004, ES = 1.1) over the seven-week timeframe, which was the only nutrition topic to have a significantly increased knowledge score. The current study therefore suggests that a nutrition education intervention can positively influence the SNK of highly trained adolescent swimmers.
CitationFoo, W., Faghy, M.A., Sparks, A., Newbury, J.W. and Gough, L.A., (2021). 'The Effects of a Nutrition Education Intervention on Sports Nutrition Knowledge during a Competitive Season in Highly Trained Adolescent Swimmers'. Nutrients, 13(8), pp. 1-8.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- The impact of nutrition education on nutrition knowledge and adherence to the Mediterranean Diet in adolescent competitive swimmers.
- Authors: Philippou E, Middleton N, Pistos C, Andreou E, Petrou M
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- The Impact of Nutrition Education Intervention with and Without a Mobile Phone Application on Nutrition Knowledge Among Young Endurance Athletes.
- Authors: Heikkilä M, Lehtovirta M, Autio O, Fogelholm M, Valve R
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 18
- Tweeting for Nutrition: Feasibility and Efficacy Outcomes of a 6-Week Social Media-Based Nutrition Education Intervention for Student-Athletes.
- Authors: Coccia C, Fernandes SM, Altiti J
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Dietary Intake, Body Composition, and Nutrition Knowledge of Australian Football and Soccer Players: Implications for Sports Nutrition Professionals in Practice.
- Authors: Devlin BL, Leveritt MD, Kingsley M, Belski R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Nutrition for swimming.
- Authors: Shaw G, Boyd KT, Burke LM, Koivisto A
- Issue date: 2014 Aug